Public Health England (PHE) has issued a cold weather alert with severe cold weather conditions forecast up until Friday 8th January. They are encouraging people to look out for those who are vulnerable during low temperatures.
Certain groups of people are particularly vulnerable to cold weather, including:
- Older people, especially those over 65 years old and those who are frail or socially isolated
- People with pre-existing chronic medical conditions
- Children under 5
- People with cognitive impairment, mental health conditions or learning difficulties
- People living in deprived circumstances such as experiencing fuel poverty
- People experiencing homelessness or rough sleeping
- Pregnant women
Many of these groups are also at greater risk of severe illness from COVID-19, as well as other winter illnesses such as flu. Therefore, it is more important than ever that those most vulnerable are supported this year.
Please find attached advice from PHE on coping with cold weather and COVID-19 as well as information from Age UK on how to keep warm and well.
You can also find out more information on cold weather and COVID-19 at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-matters-cold-weather-and-covid-19/health-matters-cold-weather-and-covid-19