Keep Wirral Well – useful information on accessing health and social care

Jan 11, 2022 | News, Newsletter

Not sure where to go for help with a medical issue? This resource has been designed to offer local information (correct as of Jan 2022) on where to get help on the Wirral. You can save a copy of the Z-card below as a handy guide!


Remember over the counter items for your medicine cabinet

Be prepared for common health problems by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet.

  • Paracetamol and ibuprofen – for most minor aches and pains, such as headaches and period pain
  • Antihistamines – for allergies, insect bites and hay fever
  • Anti-diarrhoea tablets – to control diarrhoea caused by food poisoning or a stomach virus
  • Oral rehydration salts – to restore your body’s natural balance of fluid and minerals and help your recovery
  • Indigestion treatment – to reduce stomach acidity and bring relief from stomach ache or heartburn
  • First aid kit – including plasters, bandages and a thermometer

Visit to find out how you can treat common illnesses at home.


Your local pharmacy

Your local pharmacy is here for you and can offer advice and medicines for a range of minor illnesses. Most have a room where you can discuss issues with pharmacy staff without being overheard. Staff are trained to tell you when your symptoms mean you need to see a doctor.

To find your local pharmacy and opening times visit:

How to access your GP practice

GP practices are open and face-to-face appointments remain available to all patients where there is a clinical need.

  • Visit your GP practice website and complete an online consultation form – you will usually receive a response within two working days. Online forms should not be used for urgent medical problems
  • By phone – you will be assessed by a member of the healthcare team first, to determine what type of appointment would be most appropriate for you and which practice member would best provide it
  • In person – by going into the practice and talking to the receptionist

Most practices offer video consultations in which the majority of common conditions can be assessed and diagnosed by your GP, or another healthcare professional. They are experienced and skilled in doing this. This can save you time waiting for a face-to-face appointment and means you do not need to go into the practice.

Mental health and wellbeing support

IAPT – For adults and older people, with mild, moderate-to severe symptoms of anxiety or depression. Find your local service –

Shout service – Text BLUE to 85258 for free and confidential 24/7 support to adults, children and young people. Run by trained volunteers who work with you to take the next steps to feeling better.

24/7 urgent crisis line – If your mental or emotional state quickly gets worse, this can be called a ‘mental health crisis’. Contact the mental health crisis line 24/7 on 0800 145 6485. Open to all ages, calls are free.

Compañeros – A safe, welcoming space for people struggling with emotional distress and to connect with others experiencing similar problems.

Address: 2a Price Street, Hamilton Square, CH41 6JN.

Call: 0151 488 8135 Open: 1.00pm – 10.00pm.

Think you need to see a GP?

Your GP practice has a team of health professionals that can see and treat you, such as practice nurses, clinical pharmacists and social prescribers – you may not always need to see your GP. Check your practice website for more information.

Evening and weekend appointments with GPs and other health professionals are available. Contact your local practice for more information.

111 help us help you

If you have an urgent but not life threatening medical need, visit NHS 111 online first, rather than going straight to A&E.

111 online can help you right away if you have a medical problem and you don’t know what to do and, if needed, a healthcare professional will call you.

NHS 111 makes it easier for you to get the treatment you need in the right place. The service can also direct you to urgent treatment centres, walk-in centres, GPs, pharmacies, emergency dental services or other more appropriate local services.

Visit or dial 111.

Walk-in and Urgent Treatment Centres

Providing assessment, treatment and advice for minor injuries and illnesses including:

  • sprains, strains, suspected broken limbs
  • minor head injuries
  • earache, infection, bruises
  • emergency contraception and advice
  • burns and strains
  • blood pressure checks
  • hayfever, bites and stings
  • minor cuts and wounds – wound care and dressings
  • skin complaints – rashes, sunburn, headlice
  • stomach ache, indigestion, constipation, vomiting and diarrhoea



  • Arrowe Park Urgent Treatment Centre, Arrowe Park Hospital, Arrowe Park Road CH49 5PE

Opening times: Monday – Sunday, 8.00am – 10.00pm (inc bank holidays)

  • Victoria Central Walk-in Centre & Minor Injuries, Mill Lane, Wallasey CH44 5UF

Opening times: Monday – Sunday, 8.00am – 8.00pm (inc bank holidays) (X-ray – open 8.00am – 7.30pm)

  • Eastham Walk-in Centre, 31 Eastham Rake, Birkenhead CH62 9AN

Opening times: Monday – Sunday, 12.00 noon – 8.00pm (inc all bank holidays, except Christmas Day) T

The Walk-in and Urgent Treatment Centres are open for walk-in and pre-bookable attendance slots. To pre-book please call NHS 111 or visit

For more information visit

  • Minor Injury and Illness Service (Delivered by Miriam Primary Care Group) Miriam Medical Centre, Laird St, Birkenhead CH41 8DB

Opening times: Monday – Sunday, 8.00am – 8.00pm (inc bank holidays)

To book an attendance slot please call 0151 652 6077.

A&E and 99

The Accident and Emergency Department and 999 are for life threatening illnesses and injuries ONLY, such as choking, chest pain, blood loss and open fractures.

If you attend A&E or call 999 and your condition is not deemed to be life threatening, you will be advised of other local services that are more suitable for you.

Healthwatch Wirral

Have you been able to find the right care and treatment for you and your loved ones? #Spare5 and tell Healthwatch Wirral about your experiences of accessing local health and care services.

Visit the confidential feedback centre speakout – or call 0151 230 8957 to speak to a member of the team.

Make your views on local health and social care services heard and support positive change.

Additional Support

Domestic Abuse National 24 hour support – call free on 0808 2000 247

Lower My Drinking App Advice and support for people looking to reduce their drinking. Search ‘Lower My Drinking’ and download the free app from the App Store or Google Play.

RASASC Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre – / 0330 363 0063

Wirral Infobank Directory of community groups, services, and activities that can support your health and wellbeing –

Have your say

Please #Spare5 to give us feedback of your experiences of health and social care in Wirral. Our Feedback Centre is free and easy to use – just search for a service and answer a few questions about your experience.

Share This