A young carer is someone under 18 who helps look after someone in their family, or a friend, who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol. You may not have previously been required to look after someone, but this may have happened due to Coronavirus
What might a young carer do?
- Practical tasks, such as cooking, housework and shopping.
- Physical care, such as helping someone out of bed.
- Emotional support, such as talking to someone who is distressed.
- Personal care, such as helping someone dress.
- Managing the family budget and collecting prescriptions.
- Helping to give medicine.
- Helping someone communicate.
- Looking after brothers and sisters.
Young carers may struggle to juggle their education and caring which can cause pressure and stress. It can affect a young person’s health, social life and self-confidence.
How can you get help? Barnardo’s can support Young Carers. You can contact Barnardo’s on 0151 650 5488 or [email protected], to find about how they could support you during this time.
For more information you can visit:
- Instagram @barnardos_uk
- Twitter @barnardos @BarnardosNews
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/barnardos
- Youtube https://www.youtube.com/barnardos