‘Foundations of Quality Improvement should always have what patients tell us about their treatment and care, at the heart of everything as a system we plan and do. We must be able to evidence that all actions and decisions made come back to this, making certain that everyone feels respected, involved, and valued at each and every part of the journey. We should all feel confident that we are either giving or receiving quality care.’
NHS England and NHS Improvement, Healthwatch Wirral, Age UK Wirral, Wirral System
Wirral’s January BRIDGE Forum had a full and lively agenda with over 35 representatives from across our community organisations and PPGs- to listen, share feedback and updates and Connect.
- Wirral CCG- Communications Director
- Public Health Wirral Senior Manager
- COVID Hub Community Engagement Officers- Wirral Community Champions Coordinators
Wirral CCG update
- The NHS is under a lot of pressure but those who have an urgent need to see a GP or go to hospital SHOULD – follow local advice on how to access healthcare. Communications have been sent out by Wirral health and care partners https://healthwatchwirral.co.uk/wirral-residents-urged-to-contact-nhs-111-visit-a-pharmacy-or-contact-their-gp-if-its-not-a-health-emergency/
- Those who have been vaccinated still need to follow social distancing and lockdown guidelines – we still don’t know if people who have been vaccinated can transmit the virus.Important to understand that the NHS locally does not have much autonomy to make decisions about e.g., delaying the second dose or who to vaccinate – these decisions are being made nationally and handed down. Local Wirral information, and wider evidence, are available on CCG website – https://www.wirralccg.nhs.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/ – This site will be getting updated regularly as things progress- so do keep checking!
Public Health Wirral
FLU vaccination campaign
- The flu vaccination campaign has been very successful this year, but it is still important to get the flu vaccination if offered.
- Adults at high risk from flu are also most at risk from COVID-19. The free vaccine is more important than ever, to help protect the nation from a double threat this winter.
- The flu vaccine won’t protect you against COVID-19, but it will help protect you against flu and the potentially serious infection that can cause complications, leading to hospital admission.
- New advice from NHS England suggests there is a minimal risk in getting the flu and COVID vaccinations close together.
- GP’s are this week being urged to contact patients who have still not had Flu vaccine such as unpaid Carers, pregnant women, people with Learning Disabilities, 50-56 age range.
- If you are eligible for a free vaccine you can also access this at several pharmacies- Boot the Chemist has recently advertised this.
Wirral Council – COVID Hub
Wirral Community Champions
- Champions sign up for weekly newsletter on latest restrictions, key points.
- The aim is to share clear factual info with community – families, friends, networks – support with myth-busting.
- Working to build it into an interactive platform.
- Looking to gather insights from community to form engagement plan.
- High Street Heroes – local businesses who have been going above and beyond will feed back information they’ve been hearing e.g., people have concerns about businesses being open, people not wearing masks.
- Register here – https://my.wirral.gov.uk/en/service/Register_to_become_a_Community_Champion_for_Wirral
- Healthwatch Wirral is doing a push to gather experiences of people who have had the COVID-19 vaccination. This work has included Healthwatch Staff visiting the sites. There are also physical leaflets for people to complete at vaccination centres if they are not comfortable or find it difficult to use online platforms.
- Most of the feedback about the vaccine has been very positive – (see data attached to notes on website)- with an over all 5 STAR rating. This may change as the programme rolls out further, therefore it’s important to keep sharing for us to work to drive inclusion, quality, and safety.
- Please visit the Feedback Centre and give us your experiences of all Health and Social Care- Feedback Centre How-to
Alcohol use Survey
- Reports suggest that people’s relationship with alcohol has changed. For some this has meant an increase during the pandemic. It’s more important than ever that people know where to go for information, advice, and support.
- Healthwatch Wirral are running a short survey to work with partners on Wirral to improve these services.
- Great uptake so far- closing date for the survey is 8th February 2021.
- Please take part in the survey here – https://healthwatchwirral.co.uk/alcohol-use-survey/
- Energy Project Plus – Affordable Warmth Training for Frontline Workers – fully funded training for workers who may come into contact with people who need help with fuel poverty
Sign up here – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/affordable-warmth-session-for-frontline-workers-tickets-132781301447 OR if you have a team of 5 or more you can book a private session by emailing Melanie at [email protected]
- WIRED Carers PPE service – free PPE for carers. To apply carers just need to contact the Carers Helpline 0151 670 0777 or email [email protected], carers will complete a short questionnaire then they will be given a link to an online ordering form, carers select what items they need, and it will be delivered to their door.
- TIDE – Together in Dementia Everyday – focuses on the experiences of carers of people living with dementia. They are running peer support groups and skills sessions – contact Sarah on [email protected]
- Wirral Family Coaches – running until June 2021. 4-6 free life coaches’ sessions for anyone who has responsibility for children (parents, grandparents) – self-referral at wirralfamilycoaches.com or contact Adam [email protected] 07393011800
- Social Prescribing Link Workers are helping at vaccination hubs and are having so much positive feedback- to find out more about Wirral Social prescribers go to https://citizensadvicewirral.org.uk/projects/wirral-social-prescribing-scheme/
- Wirral Deen Centre have a WhatsApp group for woman supporting and encouraging activity and exercise, info sharing, reconnecting – other organisations could do something similar internally.
- One PPG hasn’t had a meeting since last Feb – should they be having meetings? Another PPG has had regular virtual meetings. Very different experiences across different PPGs
The next Bridge Forum meetings
Wednesday 24th February 11am – 12:30pm
For anyone involved with the Third Sector (voluntary or community groups)
Thursday 25th February 11am – 12:30pm
To book a place please email [email protected] or call 0151 230 8957