One local ambulance trust is working hard behind the scenes to further educate members of the public on its non-emergency offering. The North West Ambulance Service has this week launched a new campaign in Lancashire / Cumbria / Merseyside / Cheshire to increase levels of awareness for its non-emergency Patient Transport Service, following an increase in requests for information. In a recent survey of patients and non-patients, the Patient Transport Service found that while 60 per cent of the public was aware the service existed; there was still a job to be done to improve understanding of the eligibility criteria. The research also revealed that three-quarters of the remaining 40 per cent were in the dark as to where to look for more information should they require it, presenting an opportunity for NWAS to promote the organisation’s website, information leaflet and patient charter further. The Patient Transport Service provides transportation to hospital appointments for those who are unable to make their own way to hospital due to medical or clinical needs. Speaking of the campaign, Sarah Smith, Associate Director at North West Ambulance Service, said: “The North West Ambulance Service prides itself on listening to patient feedback and improving our services where possible. “The eligibility criteria is set to ensure those individuals who genuinely need help with transport because of their medical condition can access the service, and we are keen to improve understanding of this.” The Patient Transport Service provides non-emergency ambulance transport in the four counties of Lancashire, Cumbria, Cheshire and Merseyside. The Go PTS campaign is running from January to March and more information can be found at www.patienttransport.nwas.nhs.uk A poster for display can be found here NWAS GoPTS
Click here to see our signposting page - a list of support services based in Merseyside.
Healthwatch England News
- Call for GPs to make sharing feedback easier for patients
- Have your say on which products should be available on prescription
- Improving mental health support by making veterans’ voices heard
- Helping people in Essex get the health and care they need
- Women and families who have lost babies speak up to support their peers
- What should you expect from home care services?
- Home care services: What people told Healthwatch about their experiences